Here's my mom's recipe. Thanks to my dad for compiling this! Thanks DAD!
(A) Chinese Sausage 100 g
Dried Shitake Mushroom 5 pieces (Medium)
Dried Shrimp 10 g
(B) Yam/Taro 500 g (diced)
Rice Flour 600 g
Salt 2 tsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Fine sugar 1 tbsp
Rice Wine (1 tsp, optional)
Black soy sauce 1 tsp
1) Add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a wok and saute the dried shrimp and Chinese sausage first. Add taro and mushrooms and stir fry until fragrant.
2) In a separate bowl, add 1800 ml of cold water to the flour. (This step is the secret to making the cake smooth and creamy). Work out all lumps until the flour is completely dissolved in the water.
3) Add the liquefied flour into ingredients in the wok and stir evenly until it forms a smooth sticky paste.
4) Scoop this content into a steamer, pat down with a spoon and steam for 30 mins.
5) Slice shallot thinly and fry it in hot oil. (Be sure to blot the shallot dry before frying, otherwise the shallots would be crispy).
6) Add the fried shallots to the top of the yam cake and garnish with chives.
7) Slice up the cake and serve hot with a side of chili sauce.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!